The first round of $1,200 coronavirus stimulus checks have already started hitting Americans’ bank accounts

How do I find out if the IRS is going to take my tax refund?

Call the FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your refund was reduced because of an offset. Call the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service at 1-877-777-4778 (or visit if you feel your refund was reduced in error. The service is free.

What is the TOPS Program

TOP is one of several debt collection programs offered by the Bureau of the Fiscal Service. Various public laws, statutes, and executive orders govern all of these programs. To learn about these legal authorities, visit Debt Management Services.

How TOP Works

TOP matches people and businesses who owe past-due (delinquent) debts (for example, child support payments) with money that federal agencies are paying (for example, a tax refund). To the extent allowed by law, when a match happens, TOP withholds (offsets) money to pay the delinquent debt.