Hello and welcome to Insider Advertising for April 16. I’m senior advertising reporter Lauren Johnson, and here’s what’s going on:
- The NBA’s return-to-work plan.
- ABC News’ new president Kim Godwin.
- TikTok micro and nano influencers.
If this email was forwarded to you, sign up here for your daily insider’s guide to advertising and media.
- The NBA sent a detailed back-to-work plan that calls for staff to return starting in September, Claire reported.
- The league wants employees to be back in the office regularly starting October 4.
- The NBA also said it would accommodate people with childcare, holiday, or other situations that prevent them from returning.
- Disney hired Kimberly Godwin to run ABC News, making her the first Black exec to head a broadcast news division.
- Some insiders expressed concern about an outsider coming in, while others hope she will usher in more diversity, Claire Atkinson reported.
- Her challenges may include fostering a more positive environment at ABC News, where talent can be at odds.
Instagram micro and nano influencers have higher engagement rates than celebs. But on TikTok it’s the opposite.
- Instagram and TikTok are opposites when it comes to trends in followers engaging with creators, Sydney Bradley reports.
- On Instagram, the smaller the creator’s following, the higher the engagement. On TikTok, the reverse is true.
- Two recent reports outlined the average engagement rates for influencers.
More stories we’re reading:
- Pearpop has raised $16 million to help influencers make money from ‘collabs’ with fans and other creators (Insider)
- Jeff Bezos downplays claims that Amazon workers are ‘desperate souls’ or ‘robots’ who can’t take bathroom breaks, but admits the company needs to ‘do a better job’ for employees after their failed union push (Insider)
- Uber expects employees to come into the workplace 3 days a week when its office doors open in September (Insider)
- Outgoing CBS News president held up ‘I hate my job’ sign in meeting (Page Six)
- Dollar Tree sets up retail media network amid boom for discount category (Retail Dive)