Law enforcement just released the name of the Austin Bomber, Mark Anthony Condit, age 24, that blew himself up this morning as he was being surrounded by police, SWAT and FBI.
His motive, affiliations and background have not be shared with the public. Stay tuned for updates.
The suspect whose deadly package bombs terrified Austin for almost three weeks was identified Wednesday as Mark Anthony Conditt, multiple media outlets reported hours after the suspect blew himself up as law enforcement closed in.
Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said only that the suspect was 24-year-old white man who authorities flipped from “person of interest” to suspect hours before his death. Unnamed law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity with the Associated Press and Austin Statesman-American, named Condit as the serial bomber.
Victor Gonzales, the mayor of Pflugerville, said Conditt lived in his city. Pflugerville is about 20 miles north of Austin, and police were keeping the media away from the suspect’s home.
“BIG NEWS,” tweeted Gov. Greg Abbott. “The Austin Bomber is dead. More work needs to be done to ensure no more bombs had been sent before he died. … Congratulations to the combined law enforcement effort.”
Authorities used surveillance video from the FedEx store in South Austin to lead them to the suspect, KVUE-TV in Austin reported. Authorities also obtained information from Google and from the suspect’s computer history that confirmed the suspect was looking at information on where to go to ship devices, the TV station reported, citing law enforcement sources.
Authorities identified the suspect at approximately 9 p.m. Tuesday, WFAA-TV reported. Police determined the car he was driving and found it at a hotel in Round Rock, about 20 miles north of Austin. A SWAT team was assembled and more firepower was on the way when the suspect attempted to flee, Manley said.
The suspect’s vehicle ran into a ditch moments before the explosion that apparently took the bomber’s life.
Four exploding packages in Austin since March 2 killed two people and injured at least four more. Another blast at a FedEx distribution center near San Antonio on Monday slightly injured one person.
Fred Milanowski, agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms’ Houston Field Division, said investigators believe all the bombs were built by the same person. Manley said they believe the dead suspect is that person.
The death also drew a Twitter response from President Trump: “AUSTIN BOMBING SUSPECT IS DEAD. Great job by law enforcement and all concerned!”
The deceased bomber was a 24-year-old white male, the police chief, Brian Manley, said as far as providing biographical details when the news first broke. He did not provide other details of the bomber’s identity, including his name. “We do not understand what motivated him to do what he did,” the chief said. “We do believe all of these are related, and that he was responsible for all of these” bombings.