Coronavirus updates: Outbreak of COVID-19 reported at San Antonio nursing home, officials tweet

By Mark Dunphy and Lauren Caruba

Updated

  • A body wrapped in plastic that was unloaded from a refrigerated truck is handled by medical workers wearing personal protective equipment due to COVID-19 concerns, Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at Brooklyn Hospital Center in Brooklyn borough of New York. The body was moved to a hearse to be removed to a mortuary. The new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms for most people, but for some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness or death. Photo: John Minchillo, AP / Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

    A body wrapped in plastic that was unloaded from a refrigerated truck is handled by medical workers wearing personal protective equipment due to COVID-19 concerns, Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at Brooklyn Hospital Center in Brooklyn borough of New York. The body was moved to a hearse to be removed to a mortuary. The new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms for most people, but for some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness or death. less

    A body wrapped in plastic that was unloaded from a refrigerated truck is handled by medical workers wearing personal protective equipment due to COVID-19 concerns, Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at Brooklyn Hospital … more

    Photo: John Minchillo, AP

Photo: John Minchillo, AP

A body wrapped in plastic that was unloaded from a refrigerated truck is handled by medical workers wearing personal protective equipment due to COVID-19 concerns, Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at Brooklyn Hospital Center in Brooklyn borough of New York. The body was moved to a hearse to be removed to a mortuary. The new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms for most people, but for some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness or death. less

A body wrapped in plastic that was unloaded from a refrigerated truck is handled by medical workers wearing personal protective equipment due to COVID-19 concerns, Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at Brooklyn Hospital … more

Photo: John Minchillo, AP

MySA.com is compiling the latest headlines on the COVID-19 pandemic and its affects in the San Antonio area.

Outbreak of COVID-19 reported at San Antonio nursing home, officials tweet: San Antonio officials have identified a coronavirus outbreak at a local nursing home that has killed one resident and infected a dozen people so far, Fire Chief Charles Hood said Wednesday.

The outbreak at Southeast Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4302 Southcross, started on March 21, Hood said. Of those who have been confirmed to be infected, half are residents of the facility and half are workers there.

Hood said one of the three coronavirus deaths announced by San Antonio officials yesterday was a male resident of the facility but did not provide further details.
Six people have been taken to the hospital by ambulance, Hood said and all of the remaining residents have been tested for the virus. Testing is underway for the nursing home staff.

GOOD NEWS: Because we need more of it, submit your story and we may feature it in an upcoming article

Comal County reports 12th positive case of COVID-19: Comal County reported its 12th case of COVID-19 on Wednesday. The individual is in their 60s and has self-quarantined at home in the eastern area of the county, officials said. Officials could not confirm how the person contracted the virus.

“The patient traveled internationally in the weeks before symptom onset, but the amount of time between travel and symptoms makes it difficult to determine whether they contracted the virus overseas or locally,” said Cheryl Fraser, the county’s director of public health.

“Regardless, it remains essential that everyone in Comal County stay home if at all possible and help stop the spread of COVID-19,” she said.

The county’s Office of Public Health reports 12 positive tests for the virus, 107 negative tests, and 54 tests still pending results.

Second San Antonio police officer tests positive for COVID-19: A second member of the San Antonio Police Department has tested positive for COVID-19, officials said Wednesday. The individual, a detective and 15-year veteran of the department, is recovering at home. Officials said the case does not appear to have any connection to the first officer who tested positive. Metro Health is conducting a contact tracing investigation.

Mayor Ron Nirenberg announced three more people have died from COVID-19 in Bexar County and that 207 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the county as of Tuesday evening. That’s an increase of 39 cases from Monday. Two of the deaths were men — one in his 50s and the other in his 80s. The third death was a woman in her 80s.

MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE:

Read More