Coronavirus in Congress: Lawmakers who have tested positive | TheHill

The coronavirus has hit Capitol Hill.

Lawmakers in both parties, and in both chambers, have tested positive.

Below is a list of all members of Congress who have contracted the virus. It will be updated if more lawmakers announce they have COVID-19.

Senate

Sen. Rand PaulRandal (Rand) Howard PaulCOVID-19, Bill Barr and the American authoritarian tradition Pressley experiencing flu-like symptoms, being tested for COVID-19 Hoyer says House expects to pass coronavirus bill on Friday MORE (R-Ky.)

Paul was the first, and so far only, senator to test positive. He announced his diagnosis on March 22, with his spokesman releasing a statement that he “was not aware of any direct contact with any infected person.”

The Kentucky Republican, who said he was asymptomatic, took heat for attending work and going to the Senate gym instead of self-quarantining while he awaited his test results.

“For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol,” the 57-year-old said in a statement March 23.

“The current guidelines would not have called for me to get tested nor quarantined,” he added. “It was my extra precaution, out of concern for my damaged lung, that led me to get tested.”

Cunningham, 37, released a statement saying he self-quarantined on March 19 after learning he had been in contact with a House colleague who had tested positive. The South Carolina Democrat said he was tested after he was unable to see or smell, two symptoms that have been associated with the virus.

“While I otherwise feel fine, since March 17th I have been unable to smell or taste, which I learned this week is a potential symptom of COVID-19. I have been in contact with my doctor since I entered self-quarantine. Yesterday, my doctor instructed me to get tested for COVID-19 and following a virtual consultation on MUSC.care, I went to my local testing clinic. Today, I learned that I tested positive,” he said in a March 27 statement.

“While my symptoms have begun to improve, I will remain at home until I know it is safe to leave self-quarantine. I will continue to tele-work from home as Congress conducts its ongoing response to this public health crisis and my office will continue its urgent work of serving the people of the Lowcountry,” he added.

Rep. Mario Diaz-BalartMario Rafael Diaz-BalartPressley experiencing flu-like symptoms, being tested for COVID-19 Hoyer says House expects to pass coronavirus bill on Friday Rep. Katie Porter says she’s self-quarantining while awaiting coronavirus test results MORE (R-Fla.)

Diaz-Balart, 58, was the first lawmaker to announce he had contracted the virus, with his office releasing a statement on March 18 that he had tested positive.

“On Saturday evening, Congressman Diaz-Balart developed symptoms, including a fever and a headache. Just a short while ago, he was notified that he has tested positive for COVID-19,” the statement said.

The Florida Republican then took to social media to say that his health is improving and encouraged others to follow guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to help prevent the spread of the disease.

“I’m feeling much better. However, it’s important that everyone take this seriously and follow @CDCgov guidelines in order to avoid getting sick & mitigate the spread of this virus. We must continue to work together to emerge stronger as a country during these trying times,” he tweeted.

Rep. Mike KellyGeorge (Mike) Joseph KellyOvernight Defense: Pentagon policy chief resigns at Trump’s request | Trump wishes official ‘well in his future endeavors’ | Armed Services chair warns against Africa drawdown after trip Even in a time of impeachment, health care is on the agenda Top moments from historic House impeachment debate MORE (R-Pa.)

Shortly after the House passed the third coronavirus relief package, Kelly announced he had tested positive for the virus after having exhibiting symptoms earlier in the week. The 71-year-old said his office has taken proper precautions to avoid spreading the virus.

“When I started experiencing mild flu-like symptoms earlier this week, I consulted my primary care physician. My doctor ordered a test for COVID-19, which I obtained at the drive-through testing site at Butler Memorial Hospital. My test came back positive this afternoon,” he said in a statement.

“Thank you to my doctor Bill DiCuccio and the staff at Butler Memorial for their excellent care. My symptoms remain mild, and I will serve the 16th district from home until I fully recover. Additionally, my staff is tele-working and still available to constituents who need assistance,” he continued. 

Rep. Ben McAdams (D-Utah)

Shortly after Diaz-Balart’s announcement, McAdams released a statement revealing that he had also tested positive.

The 45-year-old said that after developing symptoms on March 14, he consulted with his physician and was tested once his symptoms progressed.

“My symptoms got worse and I developed a fever, a dry cough and labored breathing and I remained self-quarantine,” he said in a March 18 statement.

“On Tuesday, my doctor instructed me to get tested for COVID-19 and following his referral, I went to the local testing clinic for the test,” he added. “Today I learned I tested positive.”

Read More